Sunday 22 August 2010

17. Fixing the old roof.

Recently I've been working 7 days a week to repair the roof so there hasn't been much time for blogging. Eventually we seem to be getting there though...

The existing roof over the bay had dropped quite badly.

Stripping back the tiles reveals there's not much holding it up. So far I haven't been impressed by the standard of 1930's builders...

...although it seems that generations of birds weren't too bothered.

Several areas have seen better days.

Nothing to do but rebuild the area above the bay using some serious timbers. The carpenter spends a day on it...

...leaving me to finish things off. There's no way this roof is going anywhere.

After a week or two making various other repairs, I can get back to the good bit. New fascia and soffit means it's starting to look more like a roof again.

Eventually I have to give in and draft in some hired help. The roofer puts the lath and felt on in two days...

...although it seems that for tradesmen, this is an acceptable way to leave the site. Looks like I'll have to get my broom out again. Great.

4 comments:

  1. Cor, that corner really did look dodgy!

    I agree about the 1930s builders, by the way. They're the ones who poured concrete inside and outside our building not even thinking to change the cross timbers that would OBVIOUSLY rot in there. Hmmm.

    Your tradesmen really are muck-pups, aren't they? Our on-site builders are pretty good (if only there were more of them and their bosses were more organised all would be well).

    Your project manager seems to be doing a very good job - working evenings and weekends, I note, no shirking at all! Bit of a hard taskmaster, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are a lot of bird nests! I wonder what lies underneath all my roof tiles. This seems like a lot of work, but I can see that you guys are getting through. Good job!


    -Alejamuel Sultz

    ReplyDelete
  3. The foundation of the old roof is already rotten and the roof itself is almost dead. Your decision to replace it is just right on time. Having a new roof only means better home living and less worries whatever extreme storm comes.

    >Brendan Gertner

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a good decision to consider hiring roofers to do the installation for you. By the way, what roof did you install? May I suggest that you do regular maintenance for your roof so it won’t have to suffer the same fate that your old roof did.

    -Penelope Dingee

    ReplyDelete